French Fries or Fries for short, are comfort food. Fries are small slices of heavenly pleasure. Everybody loves fries. That is why it is important to know about them while you munch on them. Here are 20 things you never knew about fries.
1. Although the French lend their name to the dish, the fries were first introduced in Belgium. By 1680, fries were being eaten in a valley of Belgium by the name Meuse. Fries were eaten as a substitute for fish in the winter seasons.
2. Although the world calls them French fries, the French call them Frites, Pommes Frites or Patates Frites.
3. Ketchup is the most favored sauce partnered with French fries.
4. You get potassium and fiber from eating fries. Fibers help pass waste from your body while potassium provides you with energy for the day.
5. On the other hand, French fries are high in fat and thus may cause heart problems and obesity if eaten in large quantities.
6. Potatoes have different names in different countries. It’s slang, “Spud” comes from the tool that is used to dig it.
7. July 13 is celebrated in the US as French Fry day!
8. Almost 1/4th of all potato produced in America are consumed as French fries.
9. Thomas Jefferson, the third president, introduced French fries to America.
10. One of the earliest references to Fries was made by O. Henry in his book ‘Rolling Stones’ in 1894. It read, “Our countries are great friends. We have given you Lafayette and French fried potatoes.”
11. Another early reference in literature was made by Charles Dickens in “A Tale of Two Cities”. He writes “Husky chips of potato, fried with some reluctant drops of oil”.
12. The average American eats 29 pounds of French fries every year.
13. Some other popular shapes of French fries are tornado fries, curly fries, wedges, wavy fries and potato blocks.
14. French fries can be made with sweet potatoes as well and are enjoyed by masses.
15. There is a museum in Belgium dedicated to French fries and potatoes.
16. The name “Chips” is given to thick cut fries by the British.
17. Japan and South Korea took up a fad of “Potato Parties”. Students had to bring huge amounts of French fries to the party.
18. If the level of gravity increases. French fries will fry quicker.
19. The longest fry in the world was made by Arby’s. It was 38 inches in length. It was a curly fry.
20. The world record for the largest fry was made by the university of Massachusetts. The fry weighed 4010 lbs.