In 2015, Zika virus has caused neurological birth defects such as microcephaly in newly born babies. A large number of pregnant women suffered from the Zika virus. Majority of cases observed in Brazil and babies born with microcephaly.
According to CDC, 30 US states are also affected by Zika virus. The United States has taken steps to minimize the impact of Zika virus. The CDC established filter clinics in multiple states to screen patients coming back from Zika affected areas. At present, there is no vaccine available for the treatment of Zika virus.
Recent research showed that Zika virus can cause glaucoma. According to CDC, Zika virus can spread from oral, vaginal and anal intercourse. The virus can live in the human fluids.
Birth Defect Preventative:
- Pregnant mothers have to use of mosquito repellents.
- CDC and other companies are working on minimizing the mosquito breeding areas.
- Pregnant women have to travel with precautions in Zika virus affected areas as they are vulnerable to Zika virus.
- People living in Zika virus affected areas have to cover their skin, stay in mosquito free places, use nets and repellents.
- Safe sex.
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies working on the manufacturing the vaccine.
- People in effected countries should wear long sleeves, pants, and socks.
- The patient has to start symptomatic treatment.
- Drink plenty of fluids in order to avoid dehydration.
- The patient has to take immediately take aspirin for pain relief and fever.
- Avoid NSAID.
- Consult your doctor immediately.
People and pregnant women must visit their physician after returning from the affected areato undergo comprehensive preventative checkup.
CDC and WHO are working on Zika virus. Google has given aid to WHO for minimizing the Zika spread.